Wednesday, April 6, 2011
0 comments

De La Hoya: The journey that changed my life

9:31 PM

(CNN) --I will never forget my recent trip of use to Kuwait and Iraq.


At first, I was embedded with the 36th Infantry Division in Iraq, a group of the Texas National Guard. Sergeant John Harris first class was responsible for my protection on my first night. Harris, responsible for the two dozen soldiers, in his third tour to Iraq and believe in its mission and its commitment to his country.


He introduced me to his son, who had recently been deployed to Iraq and joined the same unit under the command of Harris. I can say that he was transferred and full of pride have his son with him.


He told me that she loved spending time with him, but he admitted that when your base is under fire, it is difficult for him to maintain his role as Commander of the unit without its intermittent mind to his son and their well-being, for a moment.


As I sat down and listen to the history of Harris, I began to truly understand the meaning of sacrifice. As a father, I imagined that life would be like being with my son in this environment. In less than 24 hours, I would like to leave the 36th Infantry Division and taking off in a helicopter BlackHawk to the following eight bases. Meeting of Harris was one of the countless events that I will never forget.

As I sat down and listen to the history of Harris, I began to truly understand the meaning of sacrifice.
-Oscar de la Hoya

I had requested the most dangerous parts of the country, to visit the troops who could not get as much attention as others. In Basra, our camp had been shelled by insurgents. I could hear explosions in the distance, but it felt safe under the protection of our brave men and women.


At Camp justice, gave me the honour of medals to soldiers promoted in the ranks. Lunch with the troops and sitting and listening to their stories was incredibly rewarding. Talking about sports, many wondering about my most recent fights against Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Some had enlisted in the army, while others were soldiers citizens of the National Guard deployed in Iraq, with their jobs and family life on hold. They were optimistic, positive, and they had nothing negative to say about the work. Most were in their second terms of service.


At the end of my tour of use, it was integrated with the troops of the 1st Battalion, 7th field artillery regiment. Before my departure, unit commander pulled me aside. It was a favor to ask.


A few months earlier, one of the unit's soldiers had been killed by a homemade bomb on patrol. The soldier was a native of California, where I was born, large and lively. Grieving family of the soldier told me he had been forced to continue with their lives and asked if I would consider contact directly to let them know had been with the unity of his son and saw where he lived during his period of service.


I had the honour. I am working with the use and the army officials to arrange an introduction. When we hear of soldiers killed abroad, not hit home. We do not believe in their families. It is important to take a moment to reflect each day on which provide service to our country.


Our country, not on the battlefield, but in the ring, have represented by winning a gold medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics. After my match, I returned home to friends and family. After the tour of use, it also came to House. Our troops do not have the same luxury. They return to work every day to deal with the same dangers as the previous day. Their courage and dedication deserve our attention. We can live freely and securely in our country.


My trip has changed my life. Waving thousands of hands in the Middle East, putting in boxing in the Iraq and Kuwait clinics, turning in the smallest of ways, I rewarded in ways never could knockouts in the ring. These military men and women are certainly the best of our nation. They deserve our admiration and more of the same.

The views expressed in this commentary are solely those of Oscar de la Hoya.
 
Toggle Footer
Top